Arness Dock, Nikiski Bay

;

Arness Dock, Nikiski Bay

by | Jul 23, 2018

The Arness Dock is in Nikiski Bay on the Kenai Peninsula, about 58 miles (94 km) southwest of Anchorage and 13 miles (21 km) north-northwest of Kenai, Alaska. The private dock was built from surplused World War II Liberty Ships and is used to support oilfield supply vessels for the offshore platforms in Cook Inlet.

Liberty ships were a class of cargo vessel built in the United States during World War II. Though British in conception, the design was adapted by the U.S. for its simple, low-cost construction. Mass-produced on an unprecedented scale, 18 shipyards around the U.S. would each launch a new ship every month, and 2,710 Liberty ships were produced between 1941 and 1945, easily the largest number of ships produced to a single design.

After the war, most of the remaining ships were surplused and put into service throughout the world as tramp cargo vessels. Three were eventually purchased and filled with gravel to make the docks in Nikiski Bay. The names of two ships are still visible, SS Edward A. Filene and SS Howell Cobb. The third ship is SS Harold Winslow. At least two other Liberty ships are in Alaska, SS Francis A. Retka was renamed Oduna and is currently aground at Cape Pankof on Unimak Island, and SS Albert M. Boe that was renamed Star of Kodiak and is currently landlocked and used as an office for Trident Seafoods in Kodiak. Read more here and here. Explore more of Arness Dock and Nikiski Bay here:

More Categories

Archives by Month

About the background graphic

This ‘warming stripe’ graphic is a visual representation of the change in global temperature from 1850 (top) to 2019 (bottom). Each stripe represents the average global temperature for one year. The average temperature from 1971-2000 is set as the boundary between blue and red. The colour scale goes from -0.7°C to +0.7°C. The data are from the UK Met Office HadCRUT4.6 dataset. 

Click here for more information about the #warmingstripes.