Limestone Inlet is an embayment about 0.2 miles (322 m) wide on the eastern shore of Stephens Passage, 2.5 miles (4 km) south of Taku Harbor, and 25 miles (40 km) southeast of Juneau, Alaska. The inlet was named in 1869 by Commander R.W. Meade of the U.S. Navy for an exposed rock streak on the side of the mountain above the inlet.
In 1910, marble prospects in Southeast Alaska attracted the attention of gold mining companies, and claims were located at Dall Island and at Limestone Inlet. The deposit at Limestone Inlet was probably discovered about 1905 and there was some surface mining prior to 1911. The main work was done on a prospect known as Enterprise located at an altitude of 1,370 feet (418 m). The ore body consisted of a quartz vein up to 9 feet (2.7 m) thick. The prospect was developed by a drift tunnel 30 feet (9 m) long and by stripping a ledge along the outcrop for several hundred feet. The ore was transported down the mountain with an aerial tram. A mining camp was located on the north shore of the salt marsh at the head of the bay.
By 1914, 200 tons (181 MT) of ore had been processed in a Johnson rod mill, and at least 15 ounces (0.4 kg) of gold and a small amount of silver were recovered. Later in 1914, B.L. Thane took over the property and recovered 85 ounces (2.4 kg) of gold from 300 tons (272 MT) of ore that was processed in a 5-stamp mill. In 1934, a 52-foot inclined raise was driven by H. Jackson and A. Westhall. In underground mining, a raise refers to a vertical or inclined excavation that leads from one level of the mine to another. In 1989, the Enterprise mine still had an inferred resource of 24,600 short tons (22,317 MT) of ore with an average grade of 0.23 ounce (6.5 g) of gold per ton. In 2001, there were 800 feet (244 m) of surface trenches and at least two tunnels or adits, an upper adit of 120 feet (36.6 m), and a lower adit of 320 feet (97.5 m). Read more here and here. Explore more of Limestone Inlet here: