Lime Kiln Light, San Juan Island

;

Lime Kiln Light, San Juan Island

by | Apr 7, 2020

The Lime Kiln Light was established in 1914 overlooking Dead Man’s Bay and Haro Strait on the west coast of San Juan Island, about 12 miles (19 km) northeast of Victoria and 6.4 miles (10 km) west-southwest of Friday Harbor, Washington. The San Juan Islands were first visited by Europeans in 1794 when Spanish explorer Francisco de Eliza sailed here under the authority of the Viceroy of Mexico.

In the 1860s, acetylene lights were placed on Lime Kiln Point, a name derived from the active lime kilns nearby. These lights were updated five years later with an octagonal concrete tower rising 38 feet (12 m) from the fog signal building and two light keeper’s houses. The lighthouse is built on solid rock, about 20 feet (6 m) above high water. The tower’s helical-bar lantern room, which was fabricated by Wisconsin Iron and Wire Works of Milwaukee, has a diameter of just over 7 feet (2.1 m), and is encircled by a concrete deck and gallery. A fourth-order Fresnel lens was added to the tower in 1919.

The U.S. Coast Guard automated the light in 1962 and in 1998 the drum lens was replaced with a modern optic, flashing a white light once every 10 seconds. Sitting on the rocky shoreline at a height of 55 feet (17 m), the beacon is visible for 15 nautical miles (27 km) to guide ships through Haro Strait. Read more here and here. Explore more Lime Kiln Light here:

More Categories

Archives by Month

About the background graphic

This ‘warming stripe’ graphic is a visual representation of the change in global temperature from 1850 (top) to 2019 (bottom). Each stripe represents the average global temperature for one year. The average temperature from 1971-2000 is set as the boundary between blue and red. The colour scale goes from -0.7°C to +0.7°C. The data are from the UK Met Office HadCRUT4.6 dataset. 

Click here for more information about the #warmingstripes.